Stonewall, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1908, population 4536 (2011c), 4376 (2006c). The Town of Stonewall is located 24 km northwest of Winnipeg on a limestone outcrop in the southern Interlake. The townsite was established by S.J. Stonewall Jackson, who acquired the land in 1875. Jackson, a provincial MLA and Winnipeg alderman, named the town and supported several of its early industries. Limestone quarries became the town's greatest asset after the railway reached Stonewall in 1880. Quarrying activity peaked early in the century when 150 people were employed, first in the production of construction stone, then lime. The abandoned quarries have now been converted into a recreation centre and an important historic park. The town, containing some impressive buildings reflecting its early prosperity, is now a service and retirement centre and a dormitory town for Winnipeg.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Selwood, H. John. "Stonewall". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 21 June 2016, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/stonewall. Accessed 18 September 2019.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Selwood, H., Stonewall (2016). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/stonewall
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Selwood, H. John, "Stonewall". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published September 11, 2012; Last Edited June 21, 2016. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/stonewall
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- Selwood, H. John. The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Stonewall", Last Edited June 21, 2016, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/stonewall
|Article by||H. John Selwood|
|Published Online||September 11, 2012|
|Last Edited||March 4, 2015|