Women's Musical Club of Saskatoon
Women's Musical Club of Saskatoon. Founded in 1912 through the efforts of Mrs G.E. Craney and others, with a membership of 24 (later as many as 40) determined by audition. Monthly meetings, October through April, have been devoted to study papers illustrated by vocal, choral, or instrumental selections. Recital programs by club members (or very occasionally by guest performers) have been given at the December and April meetings and traditionally have been open to the public. Associate membership was introduced for the convenience of interested listeners who were not regular members and the Mrs F.B. (Elizabeth) Morrison Scholarship was established for the annual recognition of an outstanding winner at the Saskatoon Music Festival. Club members have included Mary Anderson, Evelyn Eby Bedford, Patricia Kirkpatrick Elliott, Janet Schnell, Alma Sheasgreen (later Brock-Smith), and Marguerita Spencer, who presented a complete program of her own compositions at the club's last Morning Musical on 4 Apr 1978. The club ceased to exist on 18 April 1of that year by unanimous agreement, as it was felt that the musical needs of the community were being met by other organizations.