Pitt Meadows

Pitt Meadows, BC, incorporated as a city in 2007, population 17 736 (2011c), 15 623 (2006c). The City of Pitt Meadows is an agricultural community located in the lower Fraser Valley east of VANCOUVER on the north side of the FRASER RIVER at its junction with the Pitt River.

Pitt Meadows, BC, incorporated as a city in 2007, population 17 736 (2011c), 15 623 (2006c). The City of Pitt Meadows is an agricultural community located in the lower Fraser Valley east of VANCOUVER on the north side of the FRASER RIVER at its junction with the Pitt River. The city takes its name from the Pitt River and Pitt Lake, which were probably named after British Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Katzie, the original inhabitants, today make their living largely as commercial fishermen and live on five reserves in the area (see also SALISH, CENTRAL COAST).

First known as Bonson's Landing, settlement in the area began in the 1870s. Originally part of the district municipality of MAPLE RIDGE, Pitt Meadows was incorporated as a separate district municipality in 1914. Settlers were mostly Anglo-Saxon until after 1910 when many French Canadians and JAPANESE arrived. After the Second World War a large group of Dutch farmers reclaimed much of the low-lying land named Pitt Polder. Pitt Meadows annexed this area in 1995. The majority of its land base (86%) is agricultural or rural in nature. The urban core is located on a highland area in the southeastern corner of the city; 85% of the population lives in this area. Greenhouses, horticultural products and berry production are important in the agricultural sector.