Agnes Etherington Art Centre
The Agnes Etherington Art Centre, located in Kingston, Ont, is the legacy of Agnes Richardson Etherington (1880-1954) who left her 19th-century Georgian-style house to Queen's University to be used as a permanent art facility for the community. The Art Centre opened in 1957 and has undergone several expansions. It currently comprises 8 viewing galleries as well as 5 elegantly furnished rooms in the original home.
The permanent collection of over 13 000 works ranges from the 14th century to the present, with an emphasis on contemporary Canadian art. It also includes European master paintings, Inuit prints and sculptures, costumes, quilts, silver and other decorative objects, plus one of the largest public collections of African art in Canada.
The Art Centre organizes constantly changing exhibitions, featuring local, regional, national and international art drawn from the permanent collection and other sources and representing historical and contemporary periods. To complement the exhibitions, The Agnes Etherington Art Centre presents a variety of public programs, including artists' talks, receptions, art lectures, workshops and family programs.