British Columbia Provincial Police
British Columbia Provincial Police had its origin in the police forces established in the colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia in 1858 to provide law and order following an influx of gold miners and settlers. With the union of the colonies in 1866, the 2 forces were amalgamated under a superintendent of police. It became the Provincial Police following the entry of British Columbia into Confederation in 1871. A civilian, non-uniformed body that policed the province's unorganized territory, it was reorganized in 1923 along lines similar to the RCMP.
The province was divided into divisional commands, and semimilitary ranks and a uniform were adopted, the latter resembling that of the RCMP, although khaki in colour with green trimmings. In the 1930s it began to police municipalities under contracts with local authorities. On 15 August 1950 the BCPP (492 men) and its duties were taken over by the RCMP.