Canadian Bible Society
Canadian Bible Society, was founded in 1904 to publish and distribute biblical scriptures and to make the bible available to all who could read it. The British and Foreign Bible Society (BFBS) was founded 1804 in London, England, and in 1805 its first overseas publication, the Gospel of John in Mohawk, arrived in Canada. Early NS settlers obtained Bibles from the BFBS, and as early as 1808 collected offerings to continue its work. Branches sprang up in the Maritimes, and then farther west. The formation of a national Bible society followed and in 1904, in Toronto, the BFBS branches in Canada joined the Canadian Bible Society (CBS).
In 1946 several national Bible societies formed the United Bible Societies (UBS). Today the world fellowship comprises more than 145 national Bible societies around the world and the CBS is a charter member. The society is an ecumenical organization that works with all denominations to publish and distribute the scriptures and texts, leaving scriptural interpretation to the churches.
In 1986 the CBS distributed over 12 million Bibles, Old and New testaments, gospels and scripture selections in more than 104 languages in Canada. By 2009, they published in 2377 languages worldwide and, in Canada, distributed publications in 120 languages including 23 Canadian aboriginal languages. They also produce large print and Braille Bibles, as well as auditory media. The purpose of the society is to make scripture available to all who can read; therefore the resources are translated without commentary or interpretation and the publications support a variety of religions including Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Protestant and Evangelical Christian groups.
Many of the publications are offered for free in venues within Canada including hospitals, nursing homes, funeral homes, outreach evangelism programs, classrooms and prisons. Approximately 435 000 copies of the Scriptures were provided to Canadian forces during WWI, and 798 000 more copies during WWII.