CharnyCharny, Qué, City, pop 10 507 (2001c), 10 661 (1996c), 10 239 (1991c), 9123 (1986c), area 8.07 km2, inc 1965, is located across the St Lawrence River from SAINTE-FOY, at the exit of the Québec and Pierre-Laporte bridges. It is only 12 km from the downtown core of QUÉBEC CITY. Charny is bound on the west by the RIVIÈRE CHAUDIÈRE.
Charny's development is linked to the railway. Near the end of the 19th century, the Grand Trunk Railway and the Intercolonial Railway set up west of l'Hêtrière, a parcel of the seigneury de Lauzon. This area was referred to as Chaudière Junction, or West Junction. Many new families came with the hope of employment in the railway service industry.
In 1903, the concession l'Hêtrière detached itself from SAINT-JEAN-CHRYSOSTOME to form the parish of Notre-Dame-du-Perpétuel-Secours de Charny, with a population of 445. In 1965, it became the city of Charny with 4564 citizens. Charny is named after Charles de Lauzon, sieur de Charny, son of Jean de Lauzon, the governor of New France.
Since incorporation, the population has more than doubled. There is very little industrial activity as most of the city is developed commercially and residentially. The Parc de la Chute-de-la-Chaudière is located on the Rivière Chaudière. The waters of the 35 m-high waterfall seem to be boiling, with vapor rising from a large steam-boiler-shaped basin at the foot of the falls.