Choeur Pie X
Choeur Pie X. Founded in Montreal in 1936 by its first director, Éthelbert Thibault, and Eugène Lapierre. It was the regular choir on the CKAC radio program 'L'Heure catholique,' but was disbanded after less than two years. Restored and reorganized in 1955 by Clément Morin, the choir resumed performance at a concert presented by the Diocesan Commission for Sacred Music at Plateau Hall. The choir brought together again about 40 choirmasters from the metropolitan region who wished to improve their knowledge of Gregorian chant and polyphony in order to serve the liturgy more effectually. Its repertoire was limited to Gregorian chant and Renaissance polyphony. The choir performed often in concert and on the CBC. In 1959 it joined the Ensemble vocal of the École normale de musique to record Chants à la Vièrge. The liturgical reforms of Vatican II brought about the disbanding of the choir in 1965.