Chorale de l'Université de Moncton
Chorale de l'Université de Moncton 1963-87 (Chorale de l'Université Saint-Joseph, 1946-63). Male choir founded by Father Léandre Brault in 1946 in Memramcook, NB, with the aim of developing interest in Gregorian chant. In 1950 the choir received the City of Lincoln Trophy, awarded annually by the FCMF to the best amateur choir in Canada. In 1952 for the NFB Father Brault made three documentary films on the university and its choir. Father Brault was succeeded by Father Roland Soucie in 1953, when he left the choir to assist in the organization of the Petits Chanteurs du Mont-Royal choir school. Father Soucie was succeeded by Father Neil J. Michaud 1955-87. The Chorale de l'Université St-Joseph won the City of Lincoln Trophy again in 1956, 1957, and 1958. Its name was changed to the Chorale de l'Université de Moncton in 1963 when St-Joseph U became the University of Moncton, at which time it also became a mixed choir. The choir made several tours, mainly in Canada, the USA, and France, performing arrangements of old French and English songs and standard pieces from the concert repertoire. In 1976 it represented New Brunswick in the cultural events at the Olympic Games in Montreal and in 1984 performed for Queen Elizabeth II during her visit to Fredericton. The choir ceased its activities in 1987.