Devon, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1949 and as a town in 1950, population 6510 (2011c), 6256 (2006c). The Town of Devon is located about 30 km southwest of Edmonton, high on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River. In 1947 the town site was a grain field, but with the discovery of oil at Leduc No 1 Wellsite, Imperial Oil established the town in the centre of the Leduc oil discovery to service the surrounding oil fields.
The town was planned according to modern town-planning principles by the Edmonton District Planning Commission and CMHC. It was labelled "Canada's Model Town" since it was the first municipality in Canada to be approved by a regional planning commission. The town grew extremely quickly, but because of planning controls, its development was orderly.
Its economy is still based on the oil and gas industry; however, the addition of the Devon Coal Research Centre is helping to diversify the economy. Devon is the only Urban County in Alberta. The Town Council administers both the municipality and the school board. Many people from Devon commute to work in nearby Edmonton.