Edmonton Chamber Music Society
The Edmonton Chamber Music Society. Formed in 1952 with a small membership of amateurs who met to play chamber music recreationally. In 1962, it was reorganized on a subscription basis to sponsor concerts by musicians from Canada and abroad. Membership in 1991 was about 750. The season runs from October to May and consisted originally of six concerts in Convocation Hall, University of Alberta. In 1977 the society moved its concerts to the University of Alberta's SUB Theatre, and in 1991 to the Myer Horowitz Theatre; in 1989 a secondary Sunday series of early music was added in Convocation Hall. The University of Alberta String Quartet played for the society annually 1969-82. Groups presented by the society have included the Juilliard, Amadeus, Hungarian, Borodin, and Cleveland string quartets. Various other small instrumental and vocal ensembles have also performed.