Edmonton Musical Club
Edmonton Musical Club. Founded 30 Oct 1908 as the Ladies' Musical Club of Edmonton. It underwent three changes of name (Edmonton Musical Club, 1910; Women's Musical Club of Edmonton, 1912; and back to Edmonton Musical Club, 1970-3) in 65 years of continuous existence. It was organized to promote musical activities among its members - a ladies' chorus formed by Vernon Barford and a ladies' orchestra led by Mrs J.B. Carmichael. As Edmonton grew, activity expanded. Between 1922 and 1928 the club presented in recital, such celebrities as Kreisler, Heifetz, Rachmaninoff, Galli-Curci, Tito Schipa, and Edward Johnson. Proceeds from the recitals established the club's scholarship fund which by 1975 had given young Alberta musicians more than $40,000 assistance. It also initiated children's symphony concerts and worked to establish the University of Alberta's music department. At its dissolution, 17 May 1973, the club bequeathed its scholarship trust fund to the university.