Geraldton, Ont, unincorporated place, population 1893 (2011c), 2012 (2006c). Geraldton is situated in northwestern Ontario on the Canadian National Railway, 282 km northeast of Thunder Bay. Established in the early 1930s as a consequence of the Little Long Lac gold rush, the town derived its name from its 2 co-founders, mining entrepreneurs J.S. FitzGerald and Joseph Errington. It was incorporated as a town in 1937.
At the height of the boom in the later 1930s, Geraldton acted as a service centre to a dozen gold-mining camps as well as to the developing pulpwood industry in the area. The major mine was the Macleod-Cockshutt, which in its nearly 30-year existence extracted more than $49 million of gold. Its closure in the late 1960s contributed to the gradual decline in Geraldton's population from a high of 3588 in 1965. In 1998 Geraldton was amalgamated with the town of Longlac and surrounding townships into the town of Greenstone.\