Halifax Harmonic Society
Halifax Harmonic Society. Choir and instrumental ensemble founded in Halifax 26 Oct 1842 by 38 players and singers. It rehearsed weekly under the direction of John St Luke, a former ballet master at the Theatre Royal, Bristol, England. Devoted to 'the improvement of its Members in the higher departments of Sacred Music,' the society specialized in oratorios by Haydn, Handel, and Mozart; at its first public appearance 31 Jan 1843 it performed The Creation. After thriving for about six years and performing in its own auditorium, the Harmonic Hall, the society declined. It was revived, however, by 7 singers who had been charter members. In 1858 there were 40 members - 14 instrumentalists and 18 male and 8 female singers - who gave three public concerts conducted by E. Jeans at Temperance Hall. The society was the first Halifax organization to tackle major choral-orchestral works and to continue performing for a number of years.