Keremeos, BC, incorporated as a village in 1956, population 1330 (2011c), 1289 (2006c). The Village of Keremeos is located in the fertile bench beside the Similkameen River, 45 km south of PENTICTON. Its name likely derives from a Salish phrase meaning "wind channel in the mountain." Site of a prehistoric native village, the area was visited by fur trader Alexander ROSS in 1813. An HBC post located at Cawston was moved to Keremeos in 1864 and was shut down in 1872.
Barrington Price, an Englishman, pre-empted land in 1873, founded a cattle ranch and built a gristmill in 1877. Keremeos Land Co, mainly interested in orchards, was formed in 1906. The Great Northern Ry arrived in 1907. Hedley Camp, an important gold producer, operated nearby 1904-58. Agriculture is the most important economic sector today, with grape growing recently showing an increase. Many roadside stands service the travelling public. Mining still contributes to the economy. In recent years, an increasing number of people have chosen to retire to Keremeos.