In 1904, the Brown Corp., an American paper company, bought the falls and neighbouring lands at the townsite. In 1907, the company built a pulp mill powered by electricity from a dam. The site became a gathering place for forest workers and La Tuque grew.
Today, La Tuque’s hydroelectric stations are owned by Hydro-Québec. In 1954, the Canadian International Paper Company bought the pulp mill. The company operated the mill until 1988, when it was sold to Canadian Pacific Forest Products. Since then, several different companies have owned the mill. Today it is operated by WestRock, an American paper packaging company, and continues to be a major employer for the region.