Lac Seul, 1658 km2, elev 357 m, 55 m deep, located in northwestern Ontario, 50 km N of Dryden, drains W via the English and Winnipeg rivers to Lk Winnipeg. It appears as "Lake Alone" - a literal translation of its present French name - on Peter Pond's map of 1784. The Cree, who inhabited the area until the mid-18th century, were gradually displaced by the Ojibwa. Descendants of the latter now occupy the Lac Seul Reserve adjacent to the towns of Hudson and Sioux Lookout. Although the lake was off the main fur-trade routes, both the HBC and NWC were active in the area, and the former continues to be represented at Lac Seul Post. The lake supports a small commercial fishery, but present resource development is concentrated in the forest industry. The unspoiled environment, with its abundant fish and wildlife, also makes this one of the prime outdoor recreation areas in northwestern Ontario. The natural capacity of Lac Seul is augmented by the diversion of water from the Albany River watershed, allowing hydroelectric stations at Ear Falls, where the English R leaves the lake, and Manitou Falls, 30 km downstream, to generate 90 600 kW of electricity.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Kemp, David D.. "Lac Seul". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 24 May 2018, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/lac-seul. Accessed 19 April 2019.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Kemp, D., Lac Seul (2018). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/lac-seul
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Kemp, David D., "Lac Seul". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 07, 2006; last modified May 24, 2018. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/lac-seul
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- David D. Kemp, The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Lac Seul", last modified May 24, 2018, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/lac-seul
|Article by||David D. Kemp|
|Published Online||February 7, 2006|
|Last Edited||December 16, 2013|
Lac Seul, 1658 km2, elev 357 m, 55 m deep, located in northwestern Ontario, 50 km N of Dryden, drains W via the English and Winnipeg rivers to Lk Winnipeg.