Lewisporte

Lewisporte, NL, incorporated as a town in 1946, population 3483 (2011c), 3308 (2006c). The Town of Lewisporte is a deep-water port and shipping centre in Notre Dame Bay, north-central Newfoundland.

v

Lewisporte, NL, incorporated as a town in 1946, population 3483 (2011c), 3308 (2006c). The Town of Lewisporte is a deep-water port and shipping centre in Notre Dame Bay, north-central Newfoundland. Settled around 1876, it was formerly called (Big) Burnt Bay and later Marshallville. It was renamed Lewisport (later Lewisporte) in 1900 after lumber pioneer Lewis Miller, who used the excellent harbour, connected by rail with the interior, as a port for lumber mills at Glenwood and Millertown. A large shipping yard was built at Lewisporte by Newfoundland Timber Estates, which assumed ownership of Miller's holding by 1903. Thus the former fishing, farming and boat-building settlement became a shipping port and sawmilling centre.

Today, Lewisporte serves as a major distribution, shipping and supply point for the northeast coast of Newfoundland and coastal Labrador. Seasonal ferry service to Cartwright and Happy Valley-Goose Bay departs from Lewisporte. It also has large fuel-storage facilities for Gander International Airport.


External Links