MayoMayo, Yukon, incorporated as a village in 1984, population 226 (2011c), 248 (2006c). The Village of Mayo is located in central Yukon on the Stewart River at the mouth of the Mayo River, 407 km north of Whitehorse. Originally called Mayo Landing, it was named after Alfred H. Mayo, an early prospector and trader. It became the landing point for riverboats on the Stewart River after reports that gold was found nearby (1902).
In 1919 the discovery of silver-lead deposits at KENO HILL transformed Mayo into a major transshipment point for ore. In 1950 a road was built to the Klondike Highway, but as the riverboats went out of service, Mayo declined.
Today Mayo is a service centre, and some placer mining and mining exploration still occurs. As the main centre of the Silver Trail, tourism is also important. Binet House Interpretive Centre has displays of the area's history, geography and geology.