Music at University of Regina
University of Regina. Non-denominational university growing out of Regina College, which was founded in 1911 along with the Regina Conservatory of Music (later the Conservatory of Music, University of Regina). In 1934 Regina College became part of the University of Saskatchewan and continued as a Junior College with a Conservatory of Music until 1959, when it received full degree granting status as a second campus of the University of Saskatchewan. In 1961 the College was renamed the University of Saskatchewan, Regina Campus and in 1974 it became the independent University of Regina. In 1990 it offered a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts and sciences.
A B MUS program, begun in 1964, antedated the 1969 inception of the Music Dept. Howard Leyton-Brown served 1964-8 as head of the B MUS program. H. Bruce Lobaugh joined the music staff in 1966 and served 1969-75 as chairman of the Music Dept, succeeded by Thomas Schudel 1975-8, Richard Raum 1978-82, and William Moore 1982-8. H. Bruce Lobaugh returned as head in 1988. In 1990-1 degrees offered were B MUS (performance, music history, composition), B MUS ED, BA (major, honours in music history) and M MUS (performance, composition, conducting), and the department had 25 teachers (11 full-time and 14 part-time) and 62 students (60 undergraduate and 2 graduate). Lois Marshall (1966) and Edith Fowke (1986) have been awarded honorary LLD degrees. In 1990 the department began holding classes and maintaining offices in the former Norman MacKenzie Art Gallery building.
Thomas Schudel has given classes at the department's electronic music studio. Jan van der Gucht, head of the voice department 1961-73, directed the Conservatory Choir and was in wide demand as an adjudicator. Philip May joined the voice department in 1976. For students of opera, workshop classes have been available. Two full operas have been presented annually in conjunction with the Regina Symphony Orchestra (see also Regina Cons Opera). The university's ensembles - the Concert Choir (formed in 1969), Collegium Musicum (Regina) (1969), Chamber Orchestra (1969), Concert Band (1974), Jazz Ensemble (1974), Opera Workshop (1977), and Chamber Singers (1985) - have performed regularly in the 150-seat Recital Hall and in Darke Hall. The department presents three or four events annually with guest musicians, which have included Harry Freedman and Stephen Hough.