New-Wes-Valley, NL, incorporated as a town in 1992, population 2265 (2011c), 2485 (2006c). The Town of New-Wes-Valley is located on the northern coast of BONAVISTA BAY. This community is actually an amalgamation of several older communities, the towns of Badger's Quay-Valleyfield-Pool's Island (incorporated in 1980 after the merger of three communities), Wesleyville (incorporated in 1945) and Newtown (incorporated in 1954). The newest amalgamation took its present name in 1996.
Settlement began on Pool's Island (originally Fool's Island) in the early 1800s. The first residents were sealers and inshore fishermen attracted by the many harbours and anchorages found along this stretch of Bonavista Bay. Bonavista Bay is also located close to a harp SEAL migration route, and by the mid-19th century, Pool's Island was a major centre for the Labrador seal hunt as well. So important was sealing in the local economy that up to 1918 a special sealing service was held in St James Church on Pool's Island. In the later 19th century settlement spread to the mainland, and new communities grew up at Badger's Key (later Quay), Valleyfield, Wesleyville and Newtown.
In time the communities became virtually contiguous, leading to amalgamation of the first 3 communities in 1980 and the latter 2 in 1992. In the 1920s the sealing industry entered a long period of decline, and the local economy came to rely more on the inshore fishery.
With the collapse of the fishery in the early 1990s, residents have had to rely on employment in the area's several small sawmills and pulp operations.