Oromocto, NB, incorporated as a town in 1956, population 8932 (2011c), 8402 (2006c). The Town of Oromocto is located at the junction of the Oromocto and Saint John rivers, 22 km southeast of FREDERICTON. The MALISEET called the Oromocto River Wel-a-mook'-took ("deep water") because of its good canoeing. The French had a small settlement there in the late 1600s and after 1763 New England traders used the location during their speculations on the SAINT JOHN RIVER.
The British army built Fort Hughes during the AMERICAN REVOLUTION to protect the new settlements, the overland route to Québec City and the rich harvest of pine masts for the Royal Navy. Prosperity continued after the arrival of the LOYALISTS after 1783.
Timber remained the economic mainstay well into the 20th century with shipyards, sawmills and the business of the local merchants supplying the hinterland settlers. The most far-reaching changes occurred in the 1950s when CFB GAGETOWN - the largest land-manoeuvres training area in the Commonwealth - was established on Oromocto's borders.
When the town expanded to provide for the military influx, a comprehensive plan was adopted and Oromocto became "Canada's Model Town." Its economy has fared well, servicing and supplying the base, and the town has also attracted some light manufacturing to its industrial park.