History and Economy
Pelly Crossing is one of a number of locations in the area (e.g. Pelly Lakes, Pelly River and others) named by Robert Campbell of the Hudson’s Bay Company for Sir John Henry Pelly, a governor of the HBC. For many years, two traders named Van Bibber and Woolen ran a small trading post and stopping house at Pelly Crossing. The ferry at Pelly Crossing was replaced by a bridge in 1958, but the community has continued to survive by servicing highway travellers. The community also has a nursing station, post office and trading post.