Province House, Halifax, built between 1811 and 1818 to house Parliament, the courts and the public service of Nova Scotia, is a sophisticated example of the influence of the Palladian style on Canadian architecture. Each floor of the building is clearly set off, and the central vertical part of the main facade is emphasized by 6 Ionic columns supporting a large triangular pediment decorated with coats of arms. In the lateral sections, 2 pilasters also support small pediments. The placement of the decorative elements, the openings, the pilasters and the columns show a rare attention to harmony and symmetry. Tradition has it that John Merrick designed the building, but the name of Richard Scott is also frequently mentioned. Province House is the most noteworthy example of Palladian architecture in Canada.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Clerk, Nathalie. "Province House - Halifax". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/province-house. Accessed 19 May 2019.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Clerk, N., Province House - Halifax (2015). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/province-house
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Clerk, Nathalie, "Province House - Halifax". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 07, 2006; last modified March 04, 2015. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/province-house
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- Nathalie Clerk, The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Province House - Halifax", last modified March 04, 2015, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/province-house
Province House - Halifax
|Article by||Nathalie Clerk|
|Published Online||February 7, 2006|
|Last Edited||March 4, 2015|
Province House, Halifax, built between 1811 and 1818 to house Parliament, the courts and the public service of Nova Scotia.
Built between 1811 and 1818, Province House in Halifax is a sophisticated example of the influence of the Palladian style (engraving by Charles Torbetts, 1846, courtesy Library and Archives Canada/C-108970).