Quidi Vidi Battery
The Quidi Vidi Battery was built in 1762 by the French. The French attacked the ST JOHN'S, Nfld, area in one of the last campaigns of the SEVEN YEARS' WAR, capturing and burning many settlements around Trinity and Conception bays. They then erected the battery to defend their newly won territory. A British naval expedition under Colonel William Amherst was quickly dispatched from New York and recaptured St John's. The guardhouse at the battery dates from 1812. Designated as a provincial HISTORIC SITE in 1967, the battery is open to the public from mid-June to mid-October and is interpreted by guides in period costumes.