Rutherford House is an elegant Edwardian house built in 1909 for Alexander Cameron Rutherford, the first premier of Alberta and chancellor of the University of Alberta (1927-41). Named Achnacarry when it was built, the house is located in Edmonton, Alta, on the edge of the University of Alberta campus.
Rutherford was born in Ontario and in 1895 moved to Strathcona, then a separate city across the river from Edmonton. He quickly established himself as one of the city's leading lawyers and a prominent businessman. In 1902 he was elected to the legislative assembly of the North-West Territories, and when Alberta became a province in 1905 he served as premier, provincial treasurer and minister of education. His Liberal government was re-elected in 1909, but he resigned in 1910 after a scandal broke out.
Rutherford House was declared a provincial historic site in 1979 and is open to the public year round.