ShaunavonShaunavon, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1914, population 1756 (2011c), 1691 (2006c). The Town of Shaunavon is located in southwestern Saskatchewan 70 km north of the international boundary and 110 km east of the Alberta border. With the near extinction of the buffalo during the 1870s the Plains Native people were successfully removed from the Cypress Hills-Wood Mountain area.
During the late 19th and early 20th centuries ranching was the primary activity in the area and from 1910 the ranchers were forced to share the land with grain farmers. In 1913 the CPR extended its line into the area and the Shaunavon site developed. Cattle, grain and oil are the major products of the district.