Stony Plain, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1908, population 15 051 (2011c), 12 363 (2006c). The Town of Stony Plain is located about 25 km west of EDMONTON. Settlement began in 1881 about 3 km south of the present town. This settlement was called Dogrump Creek but in 1892 was renamed Stony Plain. In 1891 German-Russian settlers arrived and settled several km north of the present town. In 1905 the Canadian Northern Railway passed north of the original settlement and Stony Plain's few buildings were moved N to meet the rail line.
The area's economy was based on mixed farming. Population numbers have shown great variation (eg, from 1000 in 1908 to 489 in 1930). Postwar economic development in Alberta has contributed to Stony Plain's growth. It remains a service centre but more importantly its location allows residents to commute to work in nearby Edmonton.