Tisdale

  Tisdale, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1920, population 3180 (2011c), 3000 (2006c). The Town of Tisdale is located at a railway junction, 135 km southeast of Prince Albert. Originally called Doghide after nearby Doghide Creek (1902), it was renamed to honour Frederick W. Tisdale, a railway civil engineer, when the CANADIAN NORTHERN RY reached the community (1904). Situated on the dark soils of the aspen parkland region of the province, it grew gradually as a retail service centre for what became one of Saskatchewan's better mixed-farming districts. It has also always possessed some agriculturally related industries: first, a flour mill and creamery; later, Saskatchewan's first honey processing co-operative; and today, an alfalfa dehydrator and fabricators of grain bins, environmental tanks and egg trays. The Tisdale and District Museum has a collection of buildings and machinery from the early days of settlement.