Trans-Canada Airlines was created 10 April 1937 by Act of Parliament as a subsidiary of CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS to provide air service to all regions of Canada. TCA began with 2 passenger aircraft and a small bi-plane, which was used to survey new routes. Passenger service began between Vancouver and Montréal 1 April 1939, and 2 years later TCA provided scheduled flights across the Atlantic Ocean. By 1947 the line linked major centres in Canada and operated services to the US; in 1948 service began to Bermuda, the Caribbean, Florida, Shannon (Ireland), London, Paris and Düsseldorf.
Although it rejected the Canadian designed AVRO JETLINER, the line converted to turbines in the 1950s, with Super Constellations and Vickers Viscounts. Polar flights to Europe were introduced and TCA was the first North American airline to have direct service to Moscow. The name was changed to AIR CANADA in 1965.