Vanscoy, Sask, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1909, population 2714 (2011c), 2629 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of Vanscoy is located about 30 km southwest of SASKATOON. The original name for this rural municipality was Logantown. The name Vanscoy is derived from the name of one of the first homesteaders in the area, Vern Vanscoy, and was adopted in 1934. The rural municipality of Vanscoy incorporates 10 townships and several small hamlets in addition to the village of Vanscoy. Most homesteading began in this area of Saskatchewan after 1900. For most of its history the rural municipality has been a farming community, with most farm operations concentrating on grain and livestock production. In 1965 exploration for POTASH began and in 1969 Cominco developed a mine. Also, in recent years ex-urbanites from Saskatoon have begun moving to the community, preferring its more rural setting.