Elgar Choir of British Columbia

The Elgar Choir of British Columbia. A Vancouver-based young people's choir, mostly girls, numbering between 25 and 40. It was founded in 1924 and conducted until 1974 by Charles Findlater. First known as the Wesley Methodist Church Junior Choir, in 1935 it was renamed the Elgar Choir with the permission of the composer's daughter. Many of the choristers were students at Findlater's Elgar School of Music, and much of the repertoire was drawn from Elgar and his British contemporaries. The choir performed throughout Canada, in Europe, and in Asia, making 12 trips overseas, visiting 27 countries, and winning awards in international competitions. It made its first appearance abroad at the 1934 Chicago World's Fair. Its 11th overseas tour (1964) was the first around the world by a Canadian choir via the Asian route to Hawaii. It made three recordings, two privately and one for the CBC (RCI 54). The choir ceased operations in July 1975.