Ziegler, George

George (Henry) Ziegler. Teacher, bandmaster, organist-choirmaster, b. Berlin (Kitchener), Ont, 1 Aug 1889, d. there 22 Oct 1981; LTCM piano 1909, ATCM organ 1912. He played in the Ziegler Family Orchestra and at 13 became the youngest member of the Berlin Musical Society Band. He studied at the TCM with Humfrey Anger, G.D. Atkinson, and A.S. Vogt, and also in Buffalo and New York. During his student days Ziegler played flute in the Welsman TSO and served as assistant organist in several Toronto churches. On his return to Berlin he founded in 1911 the Ziegler Associated Studios (later the Kitchener Conservatory of Music), where he taught piano, organ, band instruments, and theory until his retirement in 1974. His pupils included Harvey Gleiser Jr, J. Ferris Loth, Kenneth Sakos, and the Toronto trumpeter Erich Traugott. Ziegler also served on the examining boards of the RCMT, the Hamilton Cons (RHCM), the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music and the WOCM, and organized the Kitchener branch of the ORMTA. He was organist-choirmaster in several Kitchener churches, including (1917-50) Trinity United, where he presented many organ recitals, some of which were broadcast. He also supervised the design and installation of several organs. He directed the Kitchener Musical Society 1924-67; a Ladies' Band (which had 94 members and was said to be the largest of its kind in the world) 1925-32; several junior bands (many of which won honours in CNE competitions); and the Brass Band of the Scots Fusiliers of Canada. Ziegler composed works for band, organ, and choir, many of which were performed. Most of his manuscripts, however, were destroyed in a fire. In 1977, the city of Kitchener installed a plaque in Ziegler's honour at Speaker's Corner