Winisk River, 475 km long, rises in Wunnummin Lake in the Kenora District of northern Ontario. It first flows eastward through Nibinamik, Wapikopa and Winisk lakes before flowing northeast into Hudson Bay. The Hudson's Bay Company built Fort Weenisk at the mouth of the river in 1820. It was renamed Winisk in 1947. The name is from a Cree word meaning "groundhog" or "woodchuck." In 1986 the community was completely destroyed by a flood that also claimed 2 lives. The community was rebuilt upstream on higher ground and renamed Peawanuck. The river drains an area of 67 300 km2, most of it uninhabited.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel. "Winisk River". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 23 May 2018, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/winisk-river. Accessed 23 March 2019.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Francis, D., Winisk River (2018). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/winisk-river
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel, "Winisk River". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 07, 2006; last modified May 23, 2018. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/winisk-river
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- Daniel Francis, The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Winisk River", last modified May 23, 2018, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/winisk-river
|Article by||Daniel Francis|
|Published Online||February 7, 2006|
|Last Edited||March 30, 2014|
Winisk River, 475 km long, rises in Wunnummin Lake in the Kenora District of northern Ontario.