Commissariat House is a provincial historic site (designated in1977) located in St John's, NL, and is an excellent example of Georgian architecture. Constructed between 1818 and 1820, it was built to house the Commissariat department of the British armed forces stationed in Newfoundland. This department looked after pay and supplies, and the house and its furnishings reflect these responsibilities. It includes offices and a fireproof vault for cash and records, in addition to living quarters for the officer in charge. Commissariat House is open to the public from mid-May to early-October and also includes a interpretive centre housed in a reconstructed stable.