Fort Simpson, NWT, incorporated as a village in 1973, population 1238 (2011c), 1216 (2006c). The Hamlet of Fort Simpson is located on an island at the confluence of the MACKENZIE and LIARD rivers, 378 air km southwest of Yellowknife. The original fort, called Fort of the Forks, was built by the NORTH WEST CO in 1804; in 1821 it was named after HUDSON'S BAY CO governor Sir George SIMPSON. The oldest continuously occupied trading post on the Mackenzie, the community in the late 1960s became a base for oil exploration and a NWT government administration centre.
The population is now employed in government, the transportation industry or traditional hunting and trapping activities.