Holyrood, NL, incorporated as a town in 1969, population 1995 (2011c), 2005 (2006c). The Town of Holyrood is located at the head of Conception Bay on the Avalon Peninsula about 50 km west of St John's.
Holyrood, NL, incorporated as a town in 1969, population 1995 (2011c), 2005 (2006c). The Town of Holyrood is located at the head of Conception Bay on the Avalon Peninsula about 50 km west of St John's. The name Holyrood means "Holy Cross", and may refer to Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, Scotland.
The town was incorporated in the mid 20th century, but records indicate the community's history can be traced back to the late 17th century when English fisherman began using its sheltered harbour. A map dated 1693 shows a small settlement named "Holly Rode" near the current townsite.
During World War II personnel stationed at the nearby Argentia Naval Base built a large wooden cross above the town on Georges Cove Mountain. The original cross eventually blew over in a gale, but it had become a local landmark. It has since been replaced twice, most recently in 1992.
For most of its history Holyrood was primarily a fishing community, though some residents also engaged in farming. Holyrood was also home to one of the first refineries built in Atlantic Canada. The Ultramar refinery operated from 1961 to 1983 and at its peak processed 15 000 barrels of oil a day. In recent years residents have found employment in a nearby hydroelectric plant, while many others commute to work in St John's and Mount Pearl. Holyrood is also a recreational centre with Butter Pot Provincial Park and Salmonier Nature Park located nearby.