KensingtonKensington, PEI, incorporated as a town in 1914, population 1496 (2011c), 1485 (2006c). The Town of Kensington is situated 13 km northeast of SUMMERSIDE and 48 km northwest of CHARLOTTETOWN. The largest inland community in the province, Kensington developed at the focus of 5 roads. In 1820 Thomas Barrett and family emigrated from Ireland and settled at "Five Lanes' End." When Barrett established an inn and a tavern, a village began developing, and it was eventually renamed Barrett's Cross. The community was again renamed after the change to Kensington was suggested at a town meeting in 1862.
Owing to its crossroads location, the town received a station when the PEI Railway was constructed in 1873. Today Kensington is still a commercial centre, although it competes with the larger port town of Summerside.