LorraineLorraine, Qué, Town, pop 9613 (2006c), 9476 (2001c), inc 1960. Lorraine is located on the north bank of Rivière des Mille-Îles, about 25 km north of downtown MONTRÉAL. This "model" residential community, funded by a federal government program of the defunct Department of Urban Affairs which encouraged the creation of "new cities," is the only one of its kind in Canada.
Carved out of Bois-des-Filion, SAINTE-THÉRÈSE and ROSEMÈRE, Lorraine was set up as an ecologically sensitive, single-family dwelling, residential community by Anchor Investments Limited. In 1962 - 2 years after the area was incorporated - the company bought and parcelled out the Old Garth farmstead (1879-1957) for residential development. Lorraine was to become an urban planner's dream, a city in the country, with no high-density residential buildings, no industry, no rampant commercial development, no pollution and with underground services and utilities. The town has 25 parks and a forested green belt through which flows the Rivière aux Chiens. Cycling paths and cross-country ski trails enhance its sports and cultural facilities.