Russell (Ont)Russell, Ont, incorporated as a township in 1854, population 15 247 (2011c), 13 883 (2006c). The Township of Russell is located 33 km southeast of OTTAWA. It was named in honour of Peter Russell, an official in the government of Upper Canada.
Despite its proximity to Ottawa, settlement was slow to develop in the area because of a lack of roads and mediocre land which was heavily forested. As late as 1850 there were only 64 permanent residents of the township. Many early residents combined farming with work in lumbering, and a number of small villages, including Embrun and Russell, were formed in the township. In later years, dairying became an important local industry. Today many residents work in Ottawa-Hull, and the township is closely tied to the economy of the National Capital Region.