Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures, Qué, Parish Municipality, pop 15 727 (2001c), 14 771 (1996c), 12 680 (1991c), area 85.78 km2, founded in 1855, is located about 20 km west of QUÉBEC CITY on the North Shore of the St Lawrence River. Its neighbours to the east are the cities of SAINTE-FOY and Cap-Rouge.
The area was first settled in 1658, more than 20 years before the creation of the parish of Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures. The name Saint-Augustin was supposedly given to the parish in honour of the governor of New France from 1663-1665, Augustin de Saffray de MÉZY. The name Desmaures refers to the seigneury which was given to Jean Juchereau de Maure and his brother.
This residential suburb of Québec City contains an important industrial park. Its agricultural sector includes dairy and beef production and market gardening produce, especially berries and apples. Maple sugar is also produced.
Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures is known for its panoramic views across the river to the South Shore cliffs.