Saint-Jean-ChrysostomeSaint-Jean-Chrysostome, Qué, City, pop 17 089 (2001c), 16 161 (1996c), 12 717 (1991c), 8797 (1986c), area 85.80 km2, inc 1965, is located on the south bank of the St Lawrence River some 20 km south of QUÉBEC CITY in the Chaudière-Appalaches Region. This region is characterized by fertile agricultural plains, plateaus and the majestic Appalachian mountains.
In 1651, a few French and Huron landed on the south bank. Due to the rocky terrain, the colonists settled further inland where the land was fertile and easier to clear. In the years that followed, the colonists decided to create their own parish. They founded the parish of Saint-Jean-Chrysostome in 1828, choosing a name that had the same initial letters as the seigneur de Lauzon, Sir John Caldwell. By 1830, 1200 people had settled at Saint-Jean-Chrysostome. In 1855, the parish became the municipality of Saint-Jean-Chrysostome and in 1965, Saint-Jean-Chrysostome became a city.
Saint-Jean-Chrysostome's economy has remained agricultural. Demographic growth has proceeded at a remarkable speed in recent years. This boom is primarily due to the addition and continued development of the city's infrastructure.