St-EustacheSt-Eustache, Qué, Town, pop 40 378 (2001c), 39 848 (1996c), 37 278 (1991c), 32 226 (1986c), area 69.42 km2, inc 1835, is located at the junction of the Rivière du Chêne and the Rivière des Mille-Iles, 30 km W of MONTRÉAL. The village was born when the owner of the seigneury of Rivière du Chêne gave the mill enough land in 1770 to build a church. The village is now an important residential suburban town. The main signs of local and regional history are the mill in the centre of town and the parish church (built, respectively, 1762 and 1780).
This village was the site of a fierce battle during the REBELLIONS OF 1837 as Chenier and the PATRIOTES barricaded themselves in the church, priest's house and convent. Nearly 100 Patriotes were killed and the British troops put the village to the torch. An important regional centre, with half of its territory farmland, St-Eustache has doubled its population every decade from 1951-81.