Strathroy-Caradoc, Ont, incorporated as a township in 2001, population 20 978 (2011c), 19 959 (2006c). The Township of Strathroy-Caradoc is located in southwestern Ontario, 30 km west of London. The history of Strathroy dates from 1832, when John Stewart Buchanan from Ireland built a house and small grist mill on the site. He named the site Strathroy after his birthplace in County Tyrone, Ireland. The coming of the GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY brought increased settlement to the area in 1856, and Strathroy became a marketing centre for the surrounding district. It was incorporated as a village 3 years later and then as a town in 1870. In 2001 Strathroy and the township of Caradoc merged to formed one entity.
During its early history Strathroy suffered a number of devastating fires. In 1868 a blaze wiped out a considerable portion of Strathroy's business section. Several fires in manufacturing plants in the late 1890s and an agricultural depression caused a period of economic downturn for the town. However, with the coming of the new century Strathroy's fortunes improved. Today it is a thriving community with a diversified industrial base, including the manufacture of automobile parts, food-processing and woodworking industries. Famous citizens include Sir Arthur William CURRIE and Edward BLAKE.