Carcross, Yukon, Settlement, population 289 (2011c), 280 (2006c). Carcross is a major Tagnish and Tlingit community located at the north end of Bennett Lake, 74 km south of Whitehorse. The White Pass and Yukon Raliway pre-empted the townsite in 1898 and made it a stopping point on the line to Whitehorse. Originally Caribou Crossing, the name was changed (1904) to a combination of the 2 words to end confusion with places of the same name in Alaska and BC. William C. Bompas, who established a boarding school for Indigenous children here (1901), is buried at Carcross, as are Kate Carmack, "Skookum Jim" Mason and Tagish Charley, who were associated with the Klondike gold discovery.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Guest, Hal. "Carcross". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 28 May 2018, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/carcross. Accessed 25 April 2019.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Guest, H., Carcross (2018). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/carcross
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Guest, Hal, "Carcross". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published August 08, 2012; last modified May 28, 2018. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/carcross
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- Hal Guest, The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Carcross", last modified May 28, 2018, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/carcross
|Article by||Hal Guest|
|Published Online||August 8, 2012|
|Last Edited||March 4, 2015|
Carcross, Yukon, Settlement, population 289 (2011c), 280 (2006c). Carcross is a major Tagnish and Tlingit community located at the north end of Bennett Lake, 74 km south of Whitehorse.
One of the original discoverers of gold in the Klondike. His discovery made him a rich man, though he continued to prospect (courtesy Library and Archives Canada).