Georgetown, Prince Edward Island, incorporated as a town in 1912, population 555 (2016 census), 675 (2011 census). The town of Georgetown is the capital of Kings County. It is located on the province’s eastern coast, 52 km southeast of Charlottetown.
Georgetown is named after King George III of England. In the 19th century, Georgetown became a shipbuilding and commercial centre due to its proximity to the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Northumberland Strait.
The town’s economy was debilitated in the late 19th century by the collapse of the shipbuilding industry. When railway and then highway construction increased Georgetown’s coastal isolation, the centrally located community of Montague became the commercial centre of southern Kings County.
Today, Seafood 2000 and the East Isle Shipyard are two of the town’s main sources of employment.