Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Chester

Chester, NS, incorporated as a village in 1963, population 1529 (2011c), 1496 (2006c). The Village of Chester, 72 km west of HALIFAX, is situated on a point of land bounded by a harbour, at the north end of Mahone Bay.

Article

Chesterfield Inlet, Nunavut

Chesterfield Inlet, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1980, population 313 (2011c), 332 (2006c). The Hamlet of Chesterfield Inlet is located in a bay on the south shore of CHESTERFIELD INLET on the west side of Hudson Bay, 101 km northeast of RANKIN INLET.

Article

Chesterville

Chesterville, Ont, urban area, population 1514 (2011c), 1528 (2006c). Chesterville is a community located 64 km southeast of OTTAWA, 30 km north of the St Lawrence River on the South Nation River.

Article

Chetwynd

Chetwynd, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1983, population 2635 (2011c), 2633 (2006c). The District of Chetwynd is located in the valley of the Pine River near Pine Pass to the west, in the northeast corner of British Columbia, 310 km north of PRINCE GEORGE.

Article

Chibougamau

EconomyChibougamau has gold and silver as well as copper. Forestry (cutting and sawmill operations) and commercial activities are also important. The town takes advantage of its northern location each year by organizing a "Folies frettes" festival and an international snowmobiling rally.

Article

Chicoutimi

Chicoutimi was an important staging point on the route that 17th-century Indigenous hunters took to sell their furs in Tadoussac, and in 1676 New France authorities built a trading post here.

Article

Churchill

Churchill, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1997, population 813 (2011c), 923 (2006c). The Town of Churchill is located at the mouth of the Churchill River on the southwest shore of Hudson Bay.

Article

Châteauguay

The name is a throwback to the seigneury of Châteauguay granted to Charles LE MOYNE in 1673. The seigneury was first known as "chasteau de Guay," a combination of Le Moyne's fortified manor or chasteau (château), and the name Gué or Guay, of the caretaker. It eventually became today's Châteauguay.

Article

Chéticamp

Chéticamp, NS, Unincorporated Place. Chéticamp is located on the Gulf of St Lawrence, 48 km northeast of Inverness.

Article

City

In Canada "city" is a broad, generic term usually referring to an urbanized area.

Article

Clarence-Rockland

Clarence-Rockland, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1998, population 23 185 (2011c), 20 790 (2006c). The City of Clarence-Rockland is located on the OTTAWA RIVER 35 km east of OTTAWA.

Article

Clarenville

Clarenville, NL, incorporated as a town in 1951, population 6036 (2011c), 5274 (2006c). The Town of Clarenville is situated in a long, picturesque arm facing RANDOM ISLAND on the west side of TRINITY BAY.

Article

Claresholm

Claresholm, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1905, population 3758 (2011c), 3700 (2006c). The Town of Claresholm is located approximately 65 km northwest of Lethbridge. The name of the town was chosen by John Niblick, a superintendent of the CPR, in honour of his wife.

Article

Clarington

Clarington, Ontario, incorporated as a municipality in 1974, population 84 548 (2011c), 77 820 (2006c). The Municipality of Clarington is located on the north shore of Lake Ontario 80 km east of Toronto within the Regional Municipality of Durham.

Article

Clark's Harbour

Clark's Harbour, NS, incorporated as a town in 1919, population 820 (2011c), 860 (2006c). The Town of Clark's Harbour is situated on Cape Sable Island in Shelburne County, about 95 km southeast of Yarmouth.

Article

Clyde River

Clyde River, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1978, population 934 (2011c), 820 (2006c). The Hamlet of Clyde River is located on the west shore of Patricia Bay on the east coast of BAFFIN ISLAND, 750 km north of IQALUIT.

Article

Coaldale

Coaldale, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1952, population 7493 (2011c), 6177 (2006c). The Town of Coaldale is located in southern Alberta.

Article

Coaticook

Like most localities in the Eastern Townships, the history of Coaticook starts out in English and ends up in French. The early pioneers were for the most part of American or British origin. The town's founder was Richard Baldwin, Sr, who built a house there in 1830.

Article

Cobalt (Ont)

Cobalt, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1907, population 1133 (2011c), 1224 (2006c). The Town of Cobalt, located about 480 km north of Toronto near the Québec border and Lake Timiskaming, lies between the clay belt to the north around New Liskeard and the heavily forested area of Temagami to the south.