Athabasca Landing Trail
Athabasca Landing Trail was established 1875 by Hudson's Bay Company between Edmonton and Athabasca Landing to improve and expand northern transportation.
Athabasca Pass, elevation 1,748 m, is situated on the extreme southwest boundary of Jasper National Park, on the British Columbia-Alberta border.
The Athabasca River is the longest river in Alberta (1,538 km). The first 168 km (located in Jasper National Park) are designated as a Canadian Heritage River. As a tributary to the Mackenzie River, water flowing on the Athabasca River eventually drains into the Arctic Ocean. River flow is highest during the summer and lowest during winter, and it is ice-covered from mid-November to mid-April.
Atikokan, Ont, incorporated as a township in 1954, population 2787 (2011c), 3293 (2006c). The Township of Atikokan is located in northwestern Ontario on the Atikokan River, 220 km west of Thunder Bay.
Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Newfoundland constitute the Atlantic provinces.
Atlin, BC, Unincorporated Place, elevation 671 m. Atlin is a small community of about 400 residents situated on Atlin Lake in the lake district of the northwest corner of the province, 182 kilometres southeast of Whitehorse, Yukon.
Atlin Lake, 775 km2, elev 668 m, is a long, narrow lake in northwestern BC touching the Yukon border. The source of the Yukon River, it was inundated by prospectors during the Klondike Gold Rush 1897-98. The town of Atlin is on the E shore.
Attawapiskat River, 748 km long, formed by the confluence of the Pineimuta, Trading and Otoskwin rivers at Attawapiskat Lake, in northeastern Ontario, flows east, jogs north and runs east to the flatland by James Bay. Its drainage area is 50 200 km2 and its mean discharge 626 m3/s.
Auditorium de Québec/Le Capitole
Auditorium de Québec (from 1930 Le Capitol and from 1992 Le Capitole de Québec). Designed by the US architect Walter S. Painter and built 1902-4 at 972 St-Jean St, Quebec City, on the initiative of the mayor, S.N. Parent.
Aulavik National Park
Centred on the wide Thomsen River valley on Banks Island, Aulavik National Park (set aside 1992, 12 200 km2) has an Inuvialuktun name that means "where people travel." The name was suggested by one of the elders of Sachs Harbour, the only community on the island.
Aurora, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1888, population 53 203 (2011c), 47 629 (2006c). The Town of Aurora is located in York County, 30 km north of Toronto.
Auyuittuq National Park
Located on the Cumberland Peninsula of Baffin Island, Nunavut, Auyuittuq National Park (established 2001, 19 089 km2) was Canada's first national park located north of the Arctic Circle. It was first set up as a national park reserve in 1976 and established as a national park through the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement.
Avalon Peninsula, 9220 km2, is a spreading peninsula thrust out into the rich fishing grounds of the north Atlantic, forming the southeast corner of insular Newfoundland.
Axel Heiberg Island
Axel Heiberg Island, Nunavut, is Canada’s second northernmost island, located in the High Arctic approximately 1,200 km from the North Pole.
Aylmer, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1887, population 7151 (2011c), 7069 (2006c). The Town of Aylmer is located 50 km south of London and 15 km north of Lake Erie, on Catfish Creek.
Aylmer, Qué, Sector, pop 41 532 (2006c), 36 085 (2001c). Aylmer is located on Lac Deschênes on the Ottawa River and was a city from 1975-2002 before it merged with 4 other cities to form the new city of Gatineau.
Bache Peninsula Archaeological Sites
The Bache Peninsula archaeological sites are located on Ellesmere Island in Nunavut. The sites were occupied about 4200 years ago by hunting bands believed to have originated from northeast Asia and Alaska.
Back River, 974 km long, rises in Contwoyto Lake, north of Great Slave Lake, NWT, and flows northeast across the Barren Lands of Nunavut to Chantrey Inlet, south of King William Island.
Baddeck, NS, incorporated as a village in 1950, population 769 (2011c), 873 (2006c). The Village of Baddeck is located on the north shore of Bras d'Or Lake, 60 km west of North Sydney.