Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Displaying 881-900 of 938 results
Article

Verchères

   Verchères, Qué, Municipality, pop 5243 (2006c), 4782 (2001c), inc 1971. Verchères is 62 km northeast of Montréal, situated on the south shore of the St Lawrence River between LONGUEUIL and SOREL.

Article

Verdun

Verdun is one of the province's oldest municipalities. It was founded in 1671 by Zacharie Dupuis, one of the first landholders on the Island of Montréal. He named Verdun after his native village of Saverdun in France.

Article

Vermilion

Vermilion, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 3930 (2011c), 4036 (2006c). The Town of Vermilion is located on the Vermilion River 190 km east of Edmonton.

Article

Vernon

Vernon, BC, incorporated as a city in 1892, population 38 150 (2011c), 35 979 (2006c).

Article

Victoria (BC)

Victoria, BC, incorporated as a city in 1862, population 85,792 (2016c), 80,017 (2011c). The capital of British Columbia, the City of Victoria is situated on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, about 100 km south of Vancouver. Occupying a peninsular site, Victoria is bordered by the Juan de Fuca and Haro straits. In addition, the Olympic Mountains lie to the south, the San Juan Islands to the east, and the fjord-like Saanich Inlet and richly forested Malahat Ridge and Sooke Hills to the west. Greater Victoria lies within the Capital Regional District (CRD), a federation comprising the following incorporated areas: the cities of Victoria, Colwood and Langford; the towns of Sidney and View Royal; and the municipalities of Saanich, Oak Bay, Esquimalt, Central Saanich, North Saanich, Sooke, Metchosin and Highlands. The CRD also includes the electoral areas of Juan de Fuca, the Southern Gulf Islands and Saltspring Island.

Article

Victoria (NL)

Victoria, NL, incorporated as a town in 1971, population 1764 (2011c), 1769 (2006c). The Town of Victoria is located near CARBONEAR on the road between Carbonear and HEART'S CONTENT.

Article

Victoriaville

Originally called Demersville for a local businessman, its name was changed in 1861 to honour Queen VICTORIA. In the early days the town was only a small train station on the GRAND TRUNK RAILWAY line between Québec City and Richmond, Qué.

Article

View Royal

View Royal, BC, incorporated as a town in 1988, population 9381 (2011c), 8768 (2006c). The Town of View Royal is located on the Esquimalt Peninsula, five kilometres west of the city of VICTORIA and bordering on Esquimalt Harbour.

Article

Ville-Marie (Qué)

After 1885 settlement of the land around the lake by families from the older regions of Québec led to the establishment of Ville-Marie. The name dates from 1896 and honours the patron of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, indicating the Oblates' role in the development of the region.

Article

Virden

Virden, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1904, population 3114 (2011c), 3010 (2006c). The Town of Virden is located 278 km west of Winnipeg on the Trans-Canada Highway.

Article

Wabana

Wabana, NL, incorporated as a town in 1950, population 2346 (2011c), 2418 (2006c). The Town of Wabana is located on the north end of BELL ISLAND in Conception Bay and is the principal community on the island.

Article

Wabush

Wabush, NL, incorporated as a town in 1967, population 1861 (2011c), 1739 (2006c). The Town of Wabush is located in western LABRADOR close to the Québec border 5 km south of LABRADOR CITY.

Article

Wadena

Wadena, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1912, population 1306 (2011c), 1315 (2006c). The Town of Wadena is located about 200 km east of SASKATOON near the Quill Lakes. In the 18th century this area was the territory of the Saulteaux.

Article

Wainwright

Wainwright, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1910, population 5925 (2011c), 5426 (2006c). The Town of Wainwright is located 200 km southeast of Edmonton. The first settlement, Denwood, established in 1906, was moved in its entirety to a railway divisional point 4 km away in 1908.

Article

Walhachin

Walhachin The turn of the century in British Columbia was a time of economic prosperity. The optimism associated with this prosperity enabled land speculators to attract upper-class Englishmen to purchase land and settle at Walhachin.

Article

Walkerton

Walkerton was settled in the mid-1850s and quickly developed as an important mill site and service centre for the surrounding area. In the 1860s it became the seat of the county's government.

Article

Wallaceburg

In the 1830s Wallaceburg was founded by settlers of the failed BALDOON settlement and named for Scottish patriot Sir William Wallace. A community began to take shape in the 1850s with the development of the lumbering industry.

Article

Warman

Warman, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1966, population 7084 (2011c), 4769 (2006c). The Town of Warman is located about 20 km north of SASKATOON. In 1890 the Qu'Appelle, Long Lake and Saskatchewan Railway was completed from

Article

Wasaga Beach

Wasaga Beach, ON, incorporated as a town in 1974, population 20,675 (2016 census), 17,537 (2011 census). The Town of Wasaga Beach is located on the shores of Georgian Bay at the mouth of the Nottawasaga River, about 40 km northwest of Barrie. Wasaga Beach is the world's longest freshwater beach. The name was derived from the Nottawasaga River.

Article

Waterloo

The area was first settled by MENNONITES led by the Erb family from Pennsylvania in 1806 on what was known as the German Company Tract. In 1816 the area was elevated to township status and named Waterloo after Wellington's famous victory over Napoleon in 1815.