On 17 May 1642, a group of French settlers led by Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve and Jeanne Mance established the missionary colony of Ville-Marie on the Island of Montréal. Today, this modest settlement founded in the middle of the St. Lawrence River is Canada’s second largest city and home to nearly half of the province of Québec’s population. A centre of francophone culture in North America, Montréal also enjoys international renown. Through exhibits, images and articles — as well as several Heritage Minutes about influential Montrealers — this collection celebrates the 375-year heritage and history of this important cultural and economic centre.
In 1954 Canwood was tripled in size when the former RM of Shell Lake and several improvement districts were added to the community. The current size of the RM is almost 25 townships. Most of the people in the area are engaged in agriculture, with grain farming and livestock the major products.
In 1900 only 3711 people lived in Scarborough Township. After the Second World War, Scarborough began to grow rapidly as did all municipalities adjoining Toronto. In 1953 Metro Toronto was created to deal more effectively with the problems of physical infrastructure that this expansion caused.
Contrecoeur was one of the first French establishments in North America. It was founded as the seigneurie de Contrecoeur in 1667 by Sieur Antoine Pécaudy de Contrecoeur, captain of the Carignan-Salières regiment. Antoine Pécaudy de Contrecoeur was born in 1596, at Vignieu en Dauphiné, France.